Our programs are provided for children aged from 12 weeks to school age and are grouped according to their age. We have 3 rooms as follows:
- Caterpillar Room: 12 weeks to 2 years of age (approximately)
- Cocoon Room: 2 years to 3 years of age (approximately)
- Butterfly Room: 3 years to school age
Our Kindergarten program is offered to children within our Butterfly room to eligible children and is currently offered on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9.00 am to 4.30 pm. To receive the funded kindergarten program, children need to be booked for child care on at least 2 of these days. Kindergarten is offered to eligible children at no additional cost.
The Remus Way Children's Centre program is under pinned by the principles, practices and outcomes of the Victorian Early Years Learning & Development Framework (VEYLDF), as well as the ECA Code of Ethics and the National Quality Standard. The program document is available for families to view and is displayed throughout the centre. Families can also access further information via the ‘My Child’ website at www.mychild.gov.au.
The VEYLDF supports and enhances the learning and development of children from birth to 5 years of age as well as their transition to school. As this document is used throughout Victoria, it will ensure consistency in the delivery of learning programs for all children.
The five learning outcomes that we work towards achieving in our programs are:
- Children have a strong sense of identity
- Children are connected with and contribute to their world
- Children have a strong sense of well being
- Children are confident and involved learners
- children are effective communicators
In consultation with families and staff, we have developed and identified how we at Remus Way aim to achieve these outcomes within our pedagogy. These are displayed throughout the centre and form part of our program. As such it is a working document which is regularly reviewed.
One of the key elements of the framework is its strong emphasis on play based learning, such that at Remus Way we provide play based programs that foster children’s interests, strengths and individual needs. We believe that the learning environment should include inviting play spaces where children can make choices and use a variety of materials and resources to foster their ongoing learning and development. We will ensure that our program’s routines are consistent yet flexible enough to meet the individual needs of children.
We ensure a balance between indoor and outdoor play and run indoor/outdoor programs for a majority of the day. Our programs are based on an emergent curriculum, the aim of which is to respond to the changing interests of children.
Remus Way has implemented Storypark to our community which is a secure, private online space to ensure your child receives the best support possible and that you are involved and up-to-date with your child’s development.
Storypark provides each child with an online community which you (their parent/guardian) own and control who has access to, at no cost, for as long as you wish.
Storypark helps educators, children and families:
- improve understanding of each child’s interests and abilities so they receive even better support
- deepen relationships and strengthen communication
- share videos, photos and text capturing children’s learning and development
- create a portfolio of your child’s learning that travels with your child and can be accessed by you forever
- reinforce experiences and deepen children’s learning
- capture family culture and heritage
- involve the children in their portfolio
- interact quickly and effectively through iPhone, Android and tablets
- create smooth transitions when your child moves from one educator/centre to another.
You can choose to add your own stories or leave comments and feedback for children and our teaching team. You can also choose to share these stories with family members if you wish. We hope that you will invite your extended family so that the children have an authentic audience who are genuinely interested in their learning.
Content we add will only be shared with our teachers and the family members you choose to invite. No personal information is shared with any third party.